Saturday, August 14, 2004

operating system: Sun Java Desktop

My Dad and I ran a really long LAN cable from my router on the top floor to the basement. I then installed the Sun Java Desktop OS (live eval) on a P2 400 PC, with 256 MB of RAM.

I could not believe just how fast the live eval installed. This is the version that installs just from the CD-ROM and is not installed on the hard drive. So, when you shut off the computer, it's gone. Yep, it looks a lot like Windows, but it's not as intuitive. I only spent a few minutes playing with it, so I can't say much about it. I do know, though, that Sun's annual licensing program for this OS is very reasonable and it includes Star Office, an office suite that's similar to and somewhat compatible with, MS Office. The only catch is that you have to install it on a Sun workstation. OpenOffice is a free version of the Sun suite and can be used on Wintel systems, as well.



I don't have the real version but I do have a real version of SuSE Linux 9.0, so I may install that later.


website page counter