Friday, September 24, 2004

new book and CD

I was downtown today, to attend a CIPS Board meeting. Prior to that I bought a CD in HMV Portage Place. I paid $22.99 for The Delays - Faded Seaside Glamour. This is a CD that I've been looking for ever since hearing the mesmerizing and catchy single "Long Time Coming." Now, normally, I prefer to shop at A & B Sound since their prices are usually, but I took a chance with HMV since this CD is not readily available everywhere. Wouldn't you know it, A & B had it for $7 cheaper! HMV refunded me the difference, but I learned my lesson: always shop at A & B Sound first!



Some of the most interesting praise for the CD from Amazon.com:

"Singer/guitarist Greg Gilbert has a very feminine sounding voice--he sounds like Stevie Nicks with a sore throat."

"While listening to Faded Seaside Glamour, you can pull out the Delays' possible influences- picture a perfect mix of the classic 60's pop tunes of the Hollies with an underlying layer of ethereal sound a la Cocteau Twins. But out of this influence, they've managed to bring out an entirely new and refreshing blend of gorgeously-atmospheric-yet-catchy pop melodies.

I also bought the paperback version of Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance (The American Empire Project) by Noam Chomsky. He calls them like he sees them, regardless of who is offended.
I haven't formed an opinion about this book since I haven't read it, but it appears to be in contrast to some aspects of conventional thinking regarding the "war on terror."



website page counter